Cultural competency policy
It is the policy of Parents as
Cultural competence means that one understands the role of cultural values, beliefs and behaviors in the development of humans, supports the preservation of cultural ways of being, and works to eliminate cultural, ethnic, racial and sexual orientation bias.
All cultures are openly welcomed and valued, and multiculturalism is appreciated and practiced.
To enhance the value of our work through respectful curiosity of one another’s culture and develop a reciprocal relationship of mutual and caring learning.
- We believe that all families have strengths and challenges.
- We believe that all families have a culture that guides their behavior.
- We believe that all families uniquely contribute to the broader community through their culture.
- We believe that our similarities as humans are as important as our cultural differences.
- We believe that learning begins at birth, that learning is life long, and that learning is reciprocal.
- We believe that reciprocity in learning leads to the spirit of friendship and greater understanding.
- We believe that in order for one to be a lifelong learner one must have a vigilant and childlike curiosity.
- We believe that embracing multi-culturalism will improve our ability to do our work and enhance the value of our work.
- We believe that to be responsible we must first be responsive.
- We believe there is no way to diversity. Diversity is the way.
- We believe that the richness of all cultures deeply enriches our lives.
- We believe in building on the foundation of appreciation and understanding.
- We believe that we can grow an organizational culture that lives these beliefs.